Sunday, March 21, 2021

Etched on her memories, always!

 He was a true gentleman. A man of stature, he personified dignity. Another reason for admiring him more was the fact the he lived his life to the fullest, till he lived.

Yes, he is no more now. Last year, when we were lighting lamps on Diwali, his family lost their light due to Covid.

As time is the biggest healer, his memory started fading away. These days, we have become so busy in our daily chores that we have started to forget ourselves, let alone anyone.

I met his wife yesterday, first time after his demise. I was flabbergasted after seeing her. Having met her two-three times earlier, last time on their 25th marriage anniversary, which they celebrated with all pomp and show, I could not believe my eyes. After a span of almost half-a-year post his husband’s untimely death, time has not healed her. She looked so feeble, in stark contrast of what I saw her last.

She asked her to come inside her home. My colleague and I followed her instructions. Just as we began our conversations, she could not hold herself and burst into tears. There was silence all around, for a while, and this while was longer. I guess, our organisation’s identity badges must have brought back his memories. Tears are words, the heart cannot say.

The last time I met her was when all was well. They were a happy family of two-plus-two. A teacher by profession, her aura had all the charm. Her enthusiasm was contagious. She had everything, she still has…except him. Everything went murky, because of the biggest pandemic of this century so far – Covid 19. Initially, it was hard to believe that this virus could reach us too, but then gradually it inflicted majority, and became a part of human cytology.

But then, he caught the virus. How, When, Where, nobody has the answers. His condition kept on worsening, from home quarantine to local hospital to ventilator of the state capital’s largest hospital, he saw it all but all in vain. He bade adieu all of us on Diwali. While the city celebrated the night with lights, his family lost their brightest light in day time.

He and I worked in the same office. Our last conversation was, “Sir, I shall be meeting you after seven days only as the boss has rejected by 15-day leave application”. We never met afterwards… I still miss him!

How an untimely demise affects a family, I saw last night. Somebody has said it right, “Death ends a life and not a relationship”. Their relationship will continue forever and ever. I do not know my words will reach her or not, but I wish she becomes a shadow of what she was, as everyone including the demised soul wants her to look that way, and not this way.  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment